Monday, March 16, 2009

Twitter

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy worlds like 'What about lunch?'''

I have been intrigued with Twitter, because I have heard many people talk about it and was interested in finding out what it was all about. The first thing that sort of threw me for a loop was that you could only post 140 character updates. That for me would be a challenge. I tried to come up with ideas as to why I personally would be using this tool and decided that I don’t believe that I am a person that would actually use this tool very often. I can understand why people use and like Twitter, but it is not part of my personality (and I am sure that there are many who would strongly agree with this!).

This week’s class gave me a better understanding of this tool, which is good. I can see the library system using this tool as a way to let people know that their “Holds” are available. It could also be used to let Patrons know their “Pin”. Maybe even announce “New Books” that have been added to the collection. Announcements of special programs could work very nicely, as well. With the character count restriction, it would not work for most e-Ref questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment