Monday, March 23, 2009

Photo Sharing

"Wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing."

I feel that I had an early start with this tool by creating the slide show that I placed on my blog when I initially set it up. For this exercise, I decided that I wanted to post the pictures with my copy.

For those who know me, I can not explain anything with just a couple of words or a sentence or two. I have to tell a story, whether you want to hear it or not. (I get this trait from my mother, so blame her!)

While finishing up library school, I changed jobs. I had been working for an advertising agency, and then I started working for The Richmond Forum. If you are not familiar with this organization, each season there are five program, each program with a theme. The Richmond Forum has a very highly respected reputation and are known for the celebrities they attract. This was a wonderful job to have because you get to meet many famous people. For each program, it starts with a dinner, which includes the guest speaker(s), the staff and high-dollar contributors. The speaker is always asked to say a few words before the dinner. After dinner everyone is bussed to The Landmark Theatre for the presentation. After the program, there is a reception held, where invited guests are able to talk with the speaker, get their autograph and/or have your picture taken with the guest. For the speakers that I was very excited about, I HAD to have my picture taken with them. For example, here I am with Tom Brokaw.


Being from Ohio, I had to meet John Glenn. I was very impressed that he knew all about my hometown of Gallipolis.


I had finished library school and still worked at The Forum, while watching for library positions to become available. At Catholic University, I took the School Media track, so I was paying close attention to what was being advertised in the school system, specifically in Henrico County. I got the job at Holladay Elementary School. That season, Frank McCourt spoke and I had to have a picture taken with him.


My first year at Holladay, I was school librarian all day and then late afternoon, I went to The Forum to take care of my responsibilities there. Friends knew where I worked. They wanted to meet the speakers as well, and maybe... just maybe, they too would have their picture taken with the speaker. Case in point, maybe you might know one of the ladies with Mr. McCourt.


I also got to meet and speak with Lily Tomlin, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Julie Andrews, to name a few. Yes, I am name dropping. Tim Russert was a regular at the Forum with the question/answer portion and he is greatly missed.

I have to now take the time to thank Katherine Harrison with helping me by answering all my many questions with the use of this tool.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you chose the tartan tie for McCourt's night!

    ReplyDelete