Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Gaming

"Pooh looked at his two paws. He knew that one of them was the right, and he knew that when you had decided which one of them was the right, then the other was the left, but he never could remember how to begin."

I think that kids have it made nowadays, because they love the fact that they can get on a computer and start playing games. A parent can go about doing their own book search and not have to worry what mischief their child might get into. Then you have the older patron who comes into the children's area, grumbling that all the computers are taken and "all those children are just playing games. Can't you tell them to get off the computer, because there are others who really need to be using them?" Then, as soon as a computer becomes available, that patron sits down, logs on, and immediately opens up a game of solitaire and plays cards for the next two hours.

The availability of games on the computer for children is not only recreational, but also educational. Children that have not yet started school, can sit at computer and play games that teach the child patterns, colors, shapes, beginnings and endings, following directions, and hand-eye coordination, to name a few.

Teachers understand the concept of computer games and education. By using games in the classroom, it makes the curriculum more engaging and culturally relevant. The computer game becomes a stimulus for the pupils.

As for me, I wish that I was younger and better at playing the games. I think they are hard and I don't always understand what all I am supposed to be doing. I also have problems with the use of my hands, and that makes it even more frustrating. I feel that if I would have had the computer available when I was young and had been using it for all these years, I would not be experiencing some of the problems I face today. Too often I have problems just pushing in the code to unlock the door to the office.

Computer games - much more of a help than a hindrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment